Go Back   Final Fantasy XIII Forums > Square-Enix > Final Fantasy > Final Fantasy XII
Register Forum Rules FAQChatbox Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old Dec 05 2009, 04:01 AM   #1
riecsou
Moogle

Gil: 0 [Donate]
Default Did FF XII had a leading characther

FF XII has the following characters: Ash, Van, Balthier, Basch, Fran and Penelo. This is the first FF I had finished and did not replay from the start. I was a bit dissapointed at the story. I think maybe because of the characters. But when I think about it, who was the leading character of FF XII. FF VII:Cloud, FFVIII: Squall, FFIX: Zidane, FFX: Tidus, FFXII:?. Was someone really more important than the others (well Penelo was useless story wise). Everything was about sort of getting Ash back to the throne. Van was more like a sweet talker. So in your opinion did FF XII had a leading character? If yes then who?
riecsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05 2009, 04:29 AM   #2
burentto
First Sword

Vaan is the main character but even Square Enix admits that he just is along for the ride and the story really revolves around Ashe and Basch.
burentto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05 2009, 04:39 AM   #3
riecsou
Moogle

I dont get how Vaan is the main character. He is just along for the ride, doesn't take any important decisions, doesn't say any important sentence and has no personal motivation of why he would want to get rid of Vayne. Compared the Cloud, Squall, Zidane and Tidus, Vaan actually looks pretty lame
Old Dec 05 2009, 04:46 AM   #4
Saabon
":D"

Main character is Ashe, since its around HER right as a Queen... and stuff like that.

The story is just told in Vaan's POV as he gets caught in the middle of the war.
Saabon is offline   Send a message via MSN to Saabon Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05 2009, 05:00 AM   #5
novaheaven
Deepground

I think a lot of people are missing the point of what XII's story line was actually about.
The playable characters weren't really in the center of events. They were more so witness to what was happening in the world around them. Excluding Ashe, since she was more of a plot driver than the others with her whole reclaiming the throne thing.

Tho Vaan was the most relevant witness out of all 6 of the main party being that he had the most ties to any one of the characters. I guess with that case some would consider him the protagonist or something, but to me he was just the serving as the eyes of the player, but with a personality (or lack there of...)

After reviewing the story again, cause XII tells a damn good story, I realized that XII's plot wasn't dealing with catastrophic world splitting scenarios, or some evil mind warping villain from another world like most FF fans would come to expect.
It was a more down to earth tale about the world in a state of unsettling chaos, and those caught in between as they watch it play out.

It a story of war, corruption, royalty, (a bit of otherworldly philosophy) and political intrigue.
In other words: the world and all its events are the main characters.

Last edited by novaheaven; Dec 05 2009 at 05:07 AM..
novaheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05 2009, 05:11 AM   #6
burentto
First Sword

I think most people just didn't like Vaan because of his voice actor lol.... He definitely ruined that awesome cutscene that introduced Balthier and Fran!! By far the worst scream I've ever heard in any video game or movie.

I'm curious to hear what the Japanese thought of Vaan.
burentto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05 2009, 05:15 AM   #7
Mike
We’re alone now.

Gil: 2,600 [Donate]

Ashe is more the main character.

I still think Yuna was the main character in X, too. Tidus could have been cut completely and the game would only be about half an hour shorter and with less whining. Sounds like a fair trade-off to me.

Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05 2009, 05:22 AM   #8
riecsou
Moogle

I think the lack of a main character disappoint a ot of people and people who though that Vaan was gonna be an awesome character got disappointed as well. But I did enjoy the story and the flow of it. My problem was after playing, finishing the game and did most of the side quests, I had a hard time trying to figure what was or were the FF moment(s) of game?, which character stood above the other? It was the only FF where I had the feeling of watching a story than accomplishing the story. Just like Novaheaven said: " the world and all its events are the main characters"

@selryam
I can understand that you think that Yuna was the main character in FFX, but Sin was Tidus' father. Although in the beginning Tidus was more like Vaan from FFXII, when we got close to Zarnakand, Tidus started to take control of the party and most decisions and solutions in the story at that point were given by him. But Yuna was one very critical Character in FFX.

Last edited by Naunen; Dec 05 2009 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: Double-post
Old Dec 05 2009, 05:36 AM   #9
Mike
We’re alone now.

^ Again, cut out Tidus' father being Sin and just leave it as being Sin without that attatchment, Tidus would be pretty much a negligible character.

I know he was the narrator and all, but the whole freaking journey was because of Yuna. Tidus just seemed tacked on to me.

Also, you should probably edit your post instead of double posting.

And to keep things on topic, Vaan was just a stupid addition in the game as a whole. Leave Ashe as the main, we needed another female lead anyway, and she had the most story out of anyone save for Basch, who still doesn't match her. I just consider Vaan a sub.

Last edited by Mike; Dec 05 2009 at 05:38 AM..
Old Dec 05 2009, 05:50 AM   #10
Naunen
Under covers

Gil: 400 [Donate]

Quote:
Originally Posted by riecsou View Post
I think the lack of a main character disappoint a ot of people and people who though that Vaan was gonna be an awesome character got disappointed as well. But I did enjoy the story and the flow of it. My problem was after playing, finishing the game and did most of the side quests, I had a hard time trying to figure what was or were the FF moment(s) of game?, which character stood above the other? It was the only FF where I had the feeling of watching a story than accomplishing the story. Just like Novaheaven said: " the world and all its events are the main characters"

@selryam
I can understand that you think that Yuna was the main character in FFX, but Sin was Tidus' father. Although in the beginning Tidus was more like Vaan from FFXII, when we got close to Zarnakand, Tidus started to take control of the party and most decisions and solutions in the story at that point were given by him. But Yuna was one very critical Character in FFX.
----If you have something else to say, use instead of double-posting.
Old Dec 05 2009, 06:24 AM   #11
Saabon

Tidus was the main character in FFX because he was basically the one who drives most of the plot (with his whining, no less. =P) Though the main FOCUS of the game is Yuna, because they all worked to save her from her fate.

I think I heard somewhere that Vaan really was tacked on at the end to round up the ages of the whole party - Basch was supposed to be the main character but they felt that he was too old.

TBH, I don't mind Vaan that much. It is actually pretty well done that they told the story in his, a civilians' perspective. Its kind of refreshing.
Old Dec 05 2009, 06:28 AM   #12
Mike
We’re alone now.

^ Seriously? TIDUS drove the plot? Sorry if I sound bitchy or anything, but Yuna was the driving force as far as I can tell. They were travelling so she could visit all the temples and aquire the power to defeat Sin. As beautiful as the X ending was (It's the only reason I like Tidus), he seemed entirely tacked on, just like Vaan. Yuna could drive the plot much better than Tidus would if he didn't exist, they'd just have to tamper a bit.

Jesus, I'll stop here, I'm going way too off-topic. I didn't mean to start this stuff again, I'll make my own thread about it later if I really feel like blabbing on about it or something.

Old Dec 05 2009, 06:45 AM   #13
Ariana
FOR XV

Gil: 760 [Donate]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selryam View Post
^ Seriously? TIDUS drove the plot? Sorry if I sound bitchy or anything, but Yuna was the driving force as far as I can tell. They were travelling so she could visit all the temples and aquire the power to defeat Sin. As beautiful as the X ending was (It's the only reason I like Tidus), he seemed entirely tacked on, just like Vaan. Yuna could drive the plot much better than Tidus would if he didn't exist, they'd just have to tamper a bit.

Jesus, I'll stop here, I'm going way too off-topic. I didn't mean to start this stuff again, I'll make my own thread about it later if I really feel like blabbing on about it or something.
This. Yuna was the main character of the story, being the Summoner who would eventually break the spiral of death caused by Sin/Yu Yevon. The story was told from Tidus' point of view, much like Ashe's story was told by Vaan's point of view. Still, it's the same scenario. Tidus, like Vaan, could have been taken out completely, and the main events of the game would remain almost the same.

Yuna's the main character for FFX, with Tidus telling the events as they happen through his eyes. Done and done.

Ariana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05 2009, 06:46 AM   #14
inoeex
Claymore

it has been started to happen since FF9 the 1st female char was goin to be more highlighted than the 1st male char !
Tidus and Vaan both were puppets to tell the story of the hidden 1st characters , Yuna and Ashe ! in FF9 Garnet has the most potemtial and influence in the whole Story than Zidane , they could easily cut the Garland story related to Zidane and it would not harm the main stream . since Garnet and Yuna were too weak they just added a puppet for us to control and watch the story .
I am still pissed off abt the replacement of Basch ! we knew that he was goin to be 1st char and they just replaced him with Vaan ! FFS
I am glad that they just did not do the same routine with FF13 ! just design a shadow character with a shallow story for the sake of the real 1st char ! Lighting is the 1st char and there are no puppets arround ! its great !!!
inoeex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05 2009, 11:51 AM   #15
Saabon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selryam View Post

See, that is the different between Tidus and Vaan. He may seem a bit tacked on at the start of the game, but its ultimately him that help thought up the idea of "blowing a new hole in sin" and defeating him permanently. He took the most initiative in helping Yuna (what with barging into the chambers and all that)... If he wasn't there, Yuna would've acquired the final summoning via Yunalesca, and the cycle would just go on.

True, you could say that someone ELSE would've thought up the idea, but hey, the romance was also a great part of helping Yuna to her goal - if Tidus wasn't there, it would be a much different story. This might sound corny, but its Tidus' love that strengthened Yuna. <- God that really did sound corny. Sorry.

Vaan was just... there. Not that I minded him, I found him quite funny, actually.

Last edited by Saabon; Dec 05 2009 at 11:55 AM..
Old Dec 05 2009, 01:05 PM   #16
Joseph Handibode
Buster Sword

Gil: 300 [Donate]

Quote:
Originally Posted by riecsou View Post
FF XII has the following characters: Ash, Van, Balthier, Basch, Fran and Penelo. This is the first FF I had finished and did not replay from the start. I was a bit dissapointed at the story. I think maybe because of the characters. But when I think about it, who was the leading character of FF XII. FF VII:Cloud, FFVIII: Squall, FFIX: Zidane, FFX: Tidus, FFXII:?. Was someone really more important than the others (well Penelo was useless story wise). Everything was about sort of getting Ash back to the throne. Van was more like a sweet talker. So in your opinion did FF XII had a leading character? If yes then who?
Well once you play half way in game you know that Vaan is main character. He was always in the party. Story sucked because he was in it too much. He is the most girlie character ever. (Well second worst behind Zuja FFIX).
Joseph Handibode is offline   Send a message via AIM to Joseph Handibode Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05 2009, 03:17 PM   #17
S-r-ex
*chirp*

Gil: 600 [Donate]

Tidus was a bit more tied in than Vaan was. Tidus had his father transferred to spira to serve Yuna's father as a guardian, his friend Auron had also served as Braska's guardian, he plays Blitzball like Wakka whose little brother resembled Tidus, and early on, he is saved by Rikku, and Lulu and Kimahri are suspicious of him when he first arrives(?), he was in mutual love with Yuna, and served as the warrior class.

Oh yeah, his father became Sin as well.

Vaan, well....had is brother murdered by Basch's twin brother who cosplayed as Basch making Vaan think it was Basch who did it in the process, childhood friend with Penelo, Ashe was the princess of his country, and he wanted to be a "thkai pailath" like Balthier and Fran. That's it. I'm playing through that translated international version on emulator, so I'm catching up pretty well.

Penelo was only there to be kidnapped by B'Gamnan so the rest of the party could go to Lhusu and resque her for the introduction of Larsa. And to be annoying.

Balthier had a little closer tying with the story. He ran from his mentally degrading father who was semi-possessed by main antagonist Venat to be obsessed by nethecite, the very object responsible for the story.

Fran....ran away from her tribe and joined Balthier to be a sky pirate.....and wasn't warmly welcomed when she returned.....and she's Balthiers pilot......

Basch: his twin brother cosplayed him to frame him for the murder of Dalmasca's king, and subsequent surrender to Archadia, and serve his princess when he was freed from Nalbina.

Ashe was princess who was declared to have committed suicide, and wanted to step back to the throne and restore her kingdom.

And with the starkly classless system of the original version, Vaan had basically nothing more to do than the others. Right now, he's serving the Knight class for me, but only because it was the easiest thing to do when starting the Tomato hunt. Though I could make him either a Samurai or Uhlan (Dragoon).
Old Dec 05 2009, 05:19 PM   #18
ArgoXavier
Banned

I think Balthier was the main character. In fact didn't he say so several times?
Favorite Protagonist: Snake (MGS)
Favorite Antagonist: Kefka (VI)
ArgoXavier is offline   Send a message via MSN to ArgoXavier Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05 2009, 05:34 PM   #19
.simon
Rural Juror

Gil: 800 [Donate]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoXavier View Post
I think Balthier was the main character. In fact didn't he say so several times?
That doesn't mean it's true

I agree with novaheaven, the main character is Ivalice itself. The most important of the 6 was surely Ashe, but it's the story wasn't really all about her, it was about the world itself, its people, the 3 empires, Venat and the Occuria. I think FFXII's story is the best of all (and this is not my favourite FF), but I can understand why many people didn't like it, they just have different tastes.

As for Tidus, while I do believe Yuna's the main character, he is essential to the development of the story. Not because he is Sin's son - that could have easily been changed - but because it's crucial to Yuna's transformation throught the game. If it wasn't for him, she'd have probably summoned the final aeon and destroyed Sin the same way his father did. It was Tidus who made her change her mind.
.simon is offline   Send a message via MSN to .simon Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06 2009, 12:05 AM   #20
Mike
We’re alone now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabon View Post
See, that is the different between Tidus and Vaan. He may seem a bit tacked on at the start of the game, but its ultimately him that help thought up the idea of "blowing a new hole in sin" and defeating him permanently. He took the most initiative in helping Yuna (what with barging into the chambers and all that)... If he wasn't there, Yuna would've acquired the final summoning via Yunalesca, and the cycle would just go on.

True, you could say that someone ELSE would've thought up the idea, but hey, the romance was also a great part of helping Yuna to her goal - if Tidus wasn't there, it would be a much different story. This might sound corny, but its Tidus' love that strengthened Yuna. <- God that really did sound corny. Sorry.

Vaan was just... there. Not that I minded him, I found him quite funny, actually.
And what, she couldn't have thought that up without him? Yuna didn't sacrifice someone to become the final summon because she loved her Guardians too much, not because Tidus nagged her. Everything there would have happened as it were, and eventually they would have looked for another way to get into Sin on top of that. Both Rikku and Cid could have filled that void PERFECTLY.

Tidus disappearing could have just been left out, Yuna could still give her little speech, and all would still be well. She wouldn't have died still, and neither would another summoner, because the Final Summoning wasn't used, and the final summon is what kills the summoner. Not the act of defeating Sin. The game, without Tidus, would be absolutely perfect no matter how you look at it. Blitzball would even still be in there.

I'm just glad there aren't any idiots going around saying Vaan isn't the big main character of XII, because there is NO WAY in hell that he is the main character. He and Penelo could have just been left out, another character slot could have been added and you could've just used the four characters all the time instead of having two others tacked on wasting away because they're so damn boring that you don't feel like using them, if not partly because they're so damn useless.