Go Back   Final Fantasy XIII Forums > Community > General Chat
Register Forum Rules FAQChatbox Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old Jun 27 2009, 11:11 AM   #21
Alazais
Yesh...

Gil: 600 [Donate]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagase View Post
I just said there's almost no way to smuggle in a nuclear weapon into a country. Satellites, from space, pick up unusual quantities of radiation, let alone a nuke. This isn't even counting the impossible delivery through air. Admittedly delivery by boat would be the best way because of the size of the American coast. Still, I'd have to see it before I believe it. Detonating one, in a sub, on coast, could have some pretty nasty environmental effects, but again I don't think they'd get that far. By submarine they could but the most they'd do then is kill a few fish and make a pretty little silhouette in the water doing barely any to no damage.
I know, I agree, which is why I specifically was talking about a troop deployment in a country of interest "outside" our nations, like either a country with UN aid groups or even directly against troops in countries like Afghanistan or Iraq or whatever country America next decides to take an adventure in. Maybe it's possible to have satelites looking over every inch of the whole planet 24/7, I don't know... I hope so but I don't know.

Quote:
Gotta admit, I feel safer in Britain for that reason. Small coast+best navy = almost impossible to invade/ smuggle nukes.
Haha yeah same here, I think it's the only reason we didn't get squished in many wars through history.

Quote:
Oh and the Vietnam war was a piss take. I never knew they lost a single engagement, but in the end, if they didn't retreat, they would have lost out by numbers alone. Like the middle east, the civilian population would just pick up weapons, fight as militia and simply increase/replace.
It was superior knowledge of the terrain and the people and what needed to be done to secure victory in the long run vs. an American general who thought MOAR GUNS and carpet bombing was the best solution to everything. A doomed endevour from the start.

Quote:
How's it America's duty to go round stopping people from having nukes though when it has so many itself. It's painfully hypocritical of them. I don't quite know who they think they are, but if they're going to go to the extent of war just to get their own way, I think mentally, they're as stable as a fascist country.
When did I say it was America's duty... I said "our", I'm British and I was referring to any/all currently nuclear equipped country. America has so many nukes (way more then could ever be needed by several hundred times over) because of the stupid arms race in the cold war. Countries like England have somewhere in the region of 200, all submarine based as far as I know, it's a much more reasonable number, but as Whiplash said Obama does want to reduce the amount of nukes, which is a good thing.

I doubt America would go to the extent of a full out war for the single reason of stopping a country from getting nuclear weapons... but thats why I said diplomatically in my post, not militarily. *Shrugs*, I just hope defence technology speeds up to the point where it renders nukes ineffective weapons (missile defence/anti radiation stuff). That way it'll be economic power, diplomatic influence and public opinion that decides the outcome of wars in the future, and not who has WMD's and the will to use them.
Alazais is offline   Send a message via MSN to Alazais Send a message via Skype™ to Alazais Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2009, 11:20 AM   #22
Nagadick
I bring love

Gil: 0 [Donate]

Ah fair enough xD Sorry I do tend to skip read quite alot Yeah hopefully everything will be resolved diplomatically instead of some new joke war. I never thought of extremists etc, using a nuke on troops in the Middle East etc, is a good point. If the damage to cost ratio was worth it, I guess that could end up being a pretty good idea if they want to get someone out their country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square Enix View Post
Yeah... Where was my apparent lack of knowledge, when I mentioned the stars lightyears away?
Nagadick is offline   Send a message via MSN to Nagadick Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2009, 09:05 PM   #23
Falsate
Ixion

Gil: 300 [Donate]

North Korea is just all talk. Look at them..do they really think they will tear us apart? Do you think that their idea of a government will spread any further? Please. Ashame how someone can have so much power as to tell you not to go somewhere. We didn't make the earth, but we sure do control it.
Falsate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2009, 11:33 PM   #24
Nagadick
I bring love

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalCie View Post
North Korea is just all talk. Look at them..do they really think they will tear us apart? Do you think that their idea of a government will spread any further? Please. Ashame how someone can have so much power as to tell you not to go somewhere. We didn't make the earth, but we sure do control it.
Replace where you said North Korea with America.

Yes North Korean's may not have the best government but don't think that means they're any less deadly. Actually the insane amount of loyalty the troops and citizens have is scary enough to ward off most countries. Not to mention their tech advancment. As for "we" I guess you mean the west. Then no, each major country controls it's own land and that is all. What we can't get, we take and then make the victim out to look like the criminal. It's a reverse Robin Hood of sorts.
If Germany stood up tomorrow it could easily be as deadly as America, if not more so. The only reason most people see America/England as "in control" is because we can't keep our noses out of things that don't concern us and have wars all the time.

To be honest, England could never over take America, and America could never overtake England. So they make an alliance. America couldn't overtake France for instance (Inb4 they'd retreat), and France couldn't overtake America, they make an alliance. America know fully well that invading North Korea would be a death sentence, so they pretend to be the big boy of the world and bad mouth them.
If you seriously think we "control" the world, when we can't even take over somewhere as backward as the Middle East, then your view of power is distorted. The simple fact is, each country is too powerful to be invaded and so we are always at a stalemate. Nobody, controls the world, they just pretend to, to keep up appearances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square Enix View Post
Yeah... Where was my apparent lack of knowledge, when I mentioned the stars lightyears away?

Last edited by Nagadick; Jun 27 2009 at 11:36 PM..
Nagadick is offline   Send a message via MSN to Nagadick Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2009, 11:45 PM   #25
meteor
FF slut

Damn i hope obama carefully choses his steps towards others country.
Im not an american myself but i am worried because there are just getting more and more america haters.
meteor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28 2009, 07:41 AM   #26
Alazais
Yesh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteor View Post
Im not an american myself but i am worried because there are just getting more and more america haters.
I'd say the amount that hate America because of what they do and not because somebody spread some propoganda is slowing as of late. Bush did his best to piss off a lot of people and It'll take a while but Obama genuinely seems to make America more liked.

I remember one of those silly Fox news reporters (they are so hilarious) saying something like "well so what if the world doesn't like us, why should we bother trying to change their mind." The sentence astounds me in it's sheer stupidity. Most of the world dislikes North Korea for genuine reasons, unless they want to end up being disliked like that America really does need to stop stamping on other kid's toys. Which to their credit they're doing a lot better lately.
Alazais is offline   Send a message via MSN to Alazais Send a message via Skype™ to Alazais Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2009, 01:46 AM   #27
Aurelia
FOR XV

Gil: 2,545 [Donate]

I remember those Fox News reports. I couldn't help but to laugh loudly and facepalm at the same time. I knew the Fox News was stupid and conservative, but goodness that certainly had to be a new record for them.

Aurelia is offline   Send a message via AIM to Aurelia Send a message via MSN to Aurelia Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2009, 07:57 AM   #28
Neal
bang bang

Quote:
We didn't make the earth, but we sure do control it.
You think American controls the world? ..........
Old Jun 29 2009, 08:33 AM   #29
Alazais
Yesh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
You think American controls the world? ..........
*plays the Team America theme tune*
Old Jun 29 2009, 09:53 AM   #30
Käthe
Kilika Whale

Well if Germany ruled the world...
Käthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04 2009, 03:05 AM   #31
iv4nsbc
The PSICOM Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathryn View Post
Well if Germany ruled the world...
Lol ... Can't really imagine the picture ...
Old Jul 04 2009, 03:10 AM   #32
Aquaman
A dark, dark boy.

Gil: 620 [Donate]

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteor View Post
I can clearly see Bush left you behind.
Aquaman is offline   Send a message via MSN to Aquaman Send a message via Skype™ to Aquaman Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04 2009, 03:09 PM   #33
Dystopia
Swing the bat

So who here lives in Hawaii?
Dystopia is offline   Reply With Quote