Go Back   Final Fantasy XIII Forums > Community > General Chat > Serious Discussion
Register Forum Rules FAQChatbox Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old Feb 03 2011, 03:17 AM   #161
Climhazzard
Storms on the Horizon

Gil: 600 [Donate]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronyunfang View Post
Oh I know how you feel!
But the best is when they say "It is right to give thanks and praise" I feel like shouting out "don't you realize how cult-like that sounds?!
The only reason I hold my tongue around people who feel the need to answer questions with "Gods(') will" is because I don't want to offend them, but sometimes it's too ridiculous how people can be so ignorant to science!
Sometimes though, you really can't afford NOT to offend them. Like the people who believe Jesus will heal their baby's cancer? You really oughtta say something!

The only way us atheists will gain their respect is through perseverance and logic, and logic happens to be the atheist's "little voice in their ear" so we are lucky for that. But also we must find the strength to speak out against the evils of religion. We all know them. Wife burning, circumcision, burying female babies alive, terrorism, money-grubbing, condescending, torture, suicide bombing, the list is endless. And so, so much persecution through the ages. Persecution of people who were different, and persecution of science.

Climhazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03 2011, 03:21 AM   #162
cameronyunfang
Spoony Bard

Gil: 300 [Donate]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchiah View Post
agree with that.

and idk how they dare to call themselves ''better persons'' when they're just criticizing me and i dont tell them a sh*t. i just be the way i want to be and let them be. so why could they not do the same?.
I almost lost a friend because she found out I was atheist, and she still doesn't understand that SHE is the one who is discriminating against me for my non-religion.
I think more people need to look at themselves before they judge people for anything

Having an abnoxiously large signature just means you're overcompensating...
cameronyunfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03 2011, 03:28 AM   #163
Climhazzard
Storms on the Horizon

Quote:
I almost lost a friend because she found out I was atheist, and she still doesn't understand that SHE is the one who is discriminating against me for my non-religion.
I think more people need to look at themselves before they judge people for anything
If you did lose that friend, she obviously wasn't much of a friend.

Old Feb 03 2011, 03:39 AM   #164
cameronyunfang
Spoony Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climhazzard View Post

The only way us atheists will gain their respect is through perseverance and logic, and logic happens to be the atheist's "little voice in their ear" so we are lucky for that. But also we must find the strength to speak out against the evils of religion. We all know them. Wife burning, circumcision, burying female babies alive, terrorism, money-grubbing, condescending, torture, suicide bombing, the list is endless. And so, so much persecution through the ages. Persecution of people who were different, and persecution of science.
I agree with MANY if not all of the horrible things listed above, but I feel that one misconception with atheists is that something happened in our lives that made us "turn away from god"
No. In my own opinion, not in every other atheists, but IMO:
To have religion is to be uneducated

Because if you think about it religion WAS just a mechanism to answer questions like "why did my son die so young?" "why was there a tsunami?" "where do you go when you die" "why didn't my crops grow this year" etc. But nowadays, we have science and evolution and other ways to explain certain phenomena.

Religion is not needed in today's society. Period.

Quote:
If you did lose that friend, she obviously wasn't much of a friend.
Very true!!

Old Feb 03 2011, 03:48 AM   #165
PhoenixSun
Damn you vile Woman!!!

Gil: 3,025 [Donate]

people need religion though, because they need something to cling onto for hope. that's the only thing. just to know that there's some sort of a happy ending to this growing nightmare of a world
PhoenixSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03 2011, 03:53 AM   #166
Climhazzard
Storms on the Horizon

Quote:
I agree with MANY if not all of the horrible things listed above, but I feel that one misconception with atheists is that something happened in our lives that made us "turn away from god"
No. In my own opinion, not in every other atheists, but IMO:
To have religion is to be uneducated

Because if you think about it religion WAS just a mechanism to answer questions like "why did my son die so young?" "why was there a tsunami?" "where do you go when you die" "why didn't my crops grow this year" etc. But nowadays, we have science and evolution and other ways to explain certain phenomena.

Religion is not needed in today's society. Period.
Religious people think there is a god-sized hole in everybody's "soul" that HAS to be filled with god. And atheists? Well we must fill it with drugs and sex and violence because we don't have god. We PURPOSELY don't have god, which is worse than being ignorant of their god.

But they forget, and I am borrowing from Doug of QualiaSoup (Youtube it!), but we are all BORN atheists. It's the default position. No baby is born with a belief in any god or gods. That stuff is drilled into our heads as we grow up. But to a modern skeptic atheist, we're still in the default mode. That means the burden of proof is on religion, not atheism. Any religious person who tells you to prove atheism is true is out of line. They're the ones who need to justify their faith to us.

And I can, using THEIR logic, PROVE the Bible god is not real.
First we understand, Bible god is perfect, yes?
Then we understand, Bible god needs to be worshiped.
But this is a fallacy. A perfect being has no deficiencies. It NEEDS no worship.
Bible god = fairy tale.

Old Feb 03 2011, 03:56 AM   #167
cameronyunfang
Spoony Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSun View Post
people need religion though, because they need something to cling onto for hope. that's the only thing. just to know that there's some sort of a happy ending to this growing nightmare of a world
Whatever you believe, believe, that's what I say.
Whatever helps you get through the day, more power to you.
No one is judging you here.

...at least I'm not.

Old Feb 03 2011, 03:56 AM   #168
Climhazzard
Storms on the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSun View Post
Cameron has a point though. Uneducated people tend to be theists. They're the ones who need the religion. Most scientists in the world are atheists, and evolutionists. Yet we don't see a massive depression among scientists for not believing in an afterlife.

EDIT: Also people who tend to look at the world as a "growing nightmare" really make me sad. They don't see the advances in medical science we are making, the advances in food crop producing, the thousands of volunteers for all kinds of heartwarming things. If the world is so bleak and the afterlife is so good, why don't they just kill themselves?

Last edited by Climhazzard; Feb 03 2011 at 03:59 AM..
Old Feb 03 2011, 04:05 AM   #169
cameronyunfang
Spoony Bard

Quote:
the world is so bleak and the afterlife is so good, why don't they just kill themselves?
I think it's a sad moment when someone says "How can you not have something to look forward to after"
Uhm, because I'd rather live my life for now, not for later. And I'd rather do good things now for the sake of doing good things now because supposedly 2000 years ago some man said "do good things and you shall go to heaven".

And another thing that scares the living crap out if me is the fact that the ENTIRE WORLD has it's years kept track by the birth of "Jesus" .....

That just scares the shit out of me sometimes to think that people have their entire life kept track by the brith of a fictional character.

Old Feb 03 2011, 04:19 AM   #170
Climhazzard
Storms on the Horizon

Quote:
I think it's a sad moment when someone says "How can you not have something to look forward to after"
Uhm, because I'd rather live my life for now, not for later. And I'd rather do good things now for the sake of doing good things now because supposedly 2000 years ago some man said "do good things and you shall go to heaven".

And another thing that scares the living crap out if me is the fact that the ENTIRE WORLD has it's years kept track by the birth of "Jesus" .....

That just scares the shit out of me sometimes to think that people have their entire life kept track by the brith of a fictional character.
There it is, hanging right out there all pink and naked. Jesus is a fictional character. Ya gotta have cahones to say that in public. Good on you.

Old Feb 03 2011, 04:24 AM   #171
cameronyunfang
Spoony Bard

Quote:
There it is, hanging right out there all pink and naked. Jesus is a fictional character. Ya gotta have cahones to say that in public. Good on you.
Thank you, but it needs to be said more often.

Last edited by cameronyunfang; Feb 03 2011 at 04:30 AM..
Old Feb 03 2011, 04:32 AM   #172
Climhazzard
Storms on the Horizon

Don't let the BC/AD thing scare you though. We needed a spot to start counting from, and contrary-wise counting back from. People say it's Jesus' life, whatever. Scientists brush it off, so do I, so should you. Besides, if you really want to think of it as a prophet's birthday, think of Apollonius Christ. Apollonius of Tyana was a prophet who lived during Jesus' supposed life, who, like Jesus, was born of a virgin, was a carpenter, was crucified, came back to life after three days and ascended to heaven. Yep, the Jesus story was RIFE in the Mediterranean back then. Many, many prophets walked the streets back then, and often they share the exact same mythology.

Old Feb 03 2011, 04:38 AM   #173
cameronyunfang
Spoony Bard

Quote:
the Jesus story was RIFE in the Mediterranean back then. Many, many prophets walked the streets back then, and often they share the exact same mythology.
I'm guessing you've seen the movie "Religilous" ? If you haven't you quoted it exactly
And if you haven't its a must watch, and an eye openener for religious people (at least my friends)

Old Feb 03 2011, 04:39 AM   #174
Melchiah
First Sword

Gil: 0 [Donate]

Quote:
well, he really is a fictional character D:
as i said before, i'd rather belive in myself, in my own will and in my own courage.
because i am the ruler of my fate :3

and that makes me think about this: they are underrating themselves. how sad is that isn't it?.
Melchiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03 2011, 04:45 AM   #175
cameronyunfang
Spoony Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchiah View Post
and that makes me think about this: they are underrating themselves. how sad is that isn't it?.
You hit the nail on the head there for me!
Thats one of the things that I dislike very much about religion as a whole.
I hate the idea of a "supreme being".

In my opinion religion is just Comical!!

Old Feb 03 2011, 05:09 AM   #176
Climhazzard
Storms on the Horizon

Quote:
I'm guessing you've seen the movie "Religilous" ? If you haven't you quoted it exactly
And if you haven't its a must watch, and an eye openener for religious people (at least my friends)
I saw Religilous when it came out. Great stuff. But Bill Maher made it clear he was agnostic, not atheist.

Old Feb 03 2011, 04:34 PM   #177
Pan
Cactuar

I'm my own god.

Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05 2011, 05:33 AM   #178
Melchiah
First Sword

Gil: 0 [Donate]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post
I'm my own god.
ya, you're mah goddes too

but what about the question itself?
atheists are considered evil???

i think that the ignorance of religion is what makes us look as evil persons
Melchiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08 2011, 08:29 PM   #179
Fang's Biotch
Highwind

Gil: 330 [Donate]

...I was about to write shit loads about how I'm an Athiest but I'm not so intollerant of Religions but... The last time I was in a church/speaking about the big guy was A LONG TIME AGO REALLY REALLY LONG and I distinctly remember writhing inside and wanting to hurl... so no putting myself up on a moral pedestal there! XD
I guess in England religion is such a tiny issue of debate that it's easy to go along for months without coming into contact with symbols of God or his cookey fanclub. I didn't hear a single member of my family mention Jesus this Christmas! Thank Microsoft for that! Ahaha.
Old Feb 08 2011, 08:47 PM   #180
Nii
Cactuar

Gil: 80 [Donate]

I myself am agnostic. I feel Atheism is just as close minded as 'them'. Them Religious folk who push their religion on you, I was once forced(penalty of detention) to read 20 hail mary's because I didn't want to partake in a religious act. It's a free country though right...
Nii is offline   Reply With Quote